Thinking about going vegan? Maybe you’re already committed to a vegan diet but want to add a little flare to your daily meals. Let’s take a look into the Vegan Pantry! I have compiled a list of the 20 most important items to live a healthy vegan diet and a recipe from Chef Best to put these items to the test. Bon Appetit!
1. Legumes (lentils and chickpeas are a great source of protein and fiber while being low in fat)
2. Seeds (flaxseed, sunflower, pepita… Seeds can be used as an egg substitute: 1 tbs ground flaxseed + 3 tbs of water = 1 egg)
3. Flours (buckwheat, chickpea, sorghum)
4. Whole grains (farro, quinoa, millet…Perfect for salad additions or as a base for a meal)
5. Avocados (good fats!)
7. Raw apple cider vinegar (great for salad dressings)
8. Olive oil
9. Tamari and Liquid Aminos (soy sauce substitutes…Look for Braggs at the store)
10. Nutritional Yeast (adds a great nutty, cheesy flavor… Sprinkle it on popcorn!)
11. Cashews (perfect for adding substance… Also works as a dairy substitute pureed in cream sauces)
12. Mushrooms (I love a good seared trumpet or use as a base for burgers)
13. Coconut milk (adds a thick base while cooking)
14. Almond milk (the perfect sweetener…Add a splash to your coffee or tea)
15. Greens (kale, collard greens, Swiss chard…Perfect for juicing or by themselves)
16. Tofu (my favorite is Chef Best’s Harissa Tofu)
17. Rolled Oats (perfect start to your day or great for baking cookies)
18. Nuts (great for snacks and a healthy source of fats)
19. Onions and garlic (add to sautéed greens or any dish to spruce it up)
20. Sea salt (makes everything better… Try sprinkling on fresh melon)
Here is a recipe to help you get started!
Harissa Tofu (recipe from Chef Rachel Best)
Harissa, a North African chile paste makes a wonderful glaze for baked tofu with the addition of Agave in our recipe here.
1 cup oil
1/2 cup Paprika
2 1/2 tbs Red Pepper Flakes
1 tbs Caraway
1 tbs Coriander
1 1/2 tsp Cumin
2 tbs Sea Salt
1 1/2 cup Agave
Add oil to blender and slowly mix in all spices. Add Agave after all spices and oil are well blended.